Subject: ramdisk creation problems
To: 'port-arm32@netbsd.org' <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/12/1998 18:15:36
Hi,

I've been trying to construct a kernel+ramdisk image for my CATS box --
anyone been able to do that?

So far, I build my kernel with the following hooks:

file-system     FFS             # UFS
#file-system    MFS             # memory file system

options         MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS       # boottime setup of ramdisk
#options        MEMORY_DISK_SIZE=0      # Size in blocks
options         MINIROOTSIZE=3400       # Size in blocks
options         MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT     # use memory disk as root

pseudo-device   md      1               # Ramdisk driver

I commented out MFS and MEMORY_DISK_SIZE since they don't appear to be
involved in the in-kernel boot images (am I right?). Also Todd gave some
helpful hints there. Where I'm getting stuck is getting the kernel to use my
ramdisk after running mdsetimage. After boot, it says it is unable to mount
a valid filesystem off of the image and stops there. However, doing the
normal vnconfig ; mount ; etc. stuff on the ramdisk file shows that I am
able to mount it fine by myself. Is there another step that I need to go
through before I can boot using my image? I think I followed all the steps I
could find in the src/distrib/arm32/* Makefiles, but evidently I'm missing
something.

thanks,
Edwin