Subject: CATS on-board UART?
To: 'port-arm32@netbsd.org' <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/11/1998 12:14:45
Hi all,

I was wondering -- the DEC 21285 on the CATS board has an on-board UART. I
was trying to get the kernel to configure and run its console there instead
of the VGA and so tried enabling the following lines the kernel config:

# footbridge uart
fcom0   at footbridge?

However, when I boot using the recompiled kernel I get the message "fcom not
configured". Does something have to be connected to it for that to be
enabled?

Also, I'm guessing that merely enabling fcom won't redirect console output
there, so I'm guessing some variant of this commented out line:

#options        COMCONSOLE=0,CONADDR=0x3f8,CONUNIT=0,CONSPEED=9600

is needed. But I'm not sure what the arguments should be for the fcom device
- this line seems configured for a standard ISA serial com0. Has anyone
tried this with their own CATS board?

-Edwin