Subject: Re: kernel panic on RiscPC
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/06/1998 10:40:32
In message <199812051403.OAA14020@sun52.NIS.cambridge>,
      Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> > pioc0 SMC FDC37C665GT peripheral controller rev 2
> > wdc0 at pioc0 offset 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 9
> > Data abort: 'Permission error (page) status=00f address=0000003c PC=f0007d10
> > panic: permission fault in kernel by kernel
> >
> > Stopped in at _Debugger+0x10: ldmdb   r11, {r11, r13, r15}
> > db> console_kbd = 0
>
> wdc_pioc.c has been broken since it was changed to use the new wdc driver.
>  I posted a PR about this over a month ago (with a patch), but nothing has
> been done about it.  The patch no-longer applies cleanly to the current
> version, but I managed to build a working kernel last weekend.
> Unfortunately, my RPC is at home so I don't have the patch to hand at the
> moment.

Yes, I know that wdc_pioc.c has been broken. My last kernels that did not
panic were current kernels with your patch applied. When sup'ing the kernel
sources yesterday I noticed that wdc_pioc.c has been updated so I thought
that this problem has been fixed.

Why is a source file updated when a PR is open for that file? Was the update
a (failed) attempt to fix the PR?

I'll try and figure out how to apply your original patch to the updated
wdc_pioc.c. Let's see if I manage to build a kernel that does not panic.

> Richard

Regards,
   Stefan

--