Subject: Re: PIC hacks
From: Timothy Coltman <tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/04/1998 21:14:57
On Fri 04 Dec, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com> writes:
> > Erm, radical suggestion time.  Rather than trying to fix up what is
> > increasingly apparent as a "botch" job, why don't we migrate the ARM port
> > to using ELF.  I'm now in a position where I can make details of the ARM
> > ELF format available and we can do the job properly and (maybe) become
> > more compatible with the rest of the arm world at the same time.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> "And that would be done when?!"  (Yes, that's just rehetorical.)

<snip>

> I would bet that there's no real need for people to even install from
> binary snapshots, if they're willing to build two iterations of the
> world (one all static, then one with all the new tools)...

What precisely do you mean by this? Does it mean not producing any more
binary snapshots which people can download and unarchive over the top of their
existing system and instead getting everyone to download the sources and compile
their own binary distribution?

If so, IMHO this is a bad idea. I don't have the bandwidth to download all the
sources and download them, even in the space of a week or so which is the period
of time you've got to download them before they're next updated (AFAIK). And I
don't pay the phone bill either...

However, I don't mind if shared libs get broken and I have to recompile them all
if that's of any assistance...

tim
--
tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk