Subject: Re: PIC hacks
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/04/1998 10:17:48

> Unfortunately, fixing these problems will break compatibility with old
> shared libraries.  I don't think there's anything I can reasonably do
> about that.
>
> Given how frequently the ARM code has changed in the past, and the
> fact that we've never fully integrated the PIC support, it seems to me
> that a flag day would not be a major problem at this point.  I can
> supply the code and a working snapshot for people to switch over.

Erm, radical suggestion time.  Rather than trying to fix up what is
increasingly apparent as a "botch" job, why don't we migrate the ARM port
to using ELF.  I'm now in a position where I can make details of the ARM
ELF format available and we can do the job properly and (maybe) become
more compatible with the rest of the arm world at the same time.

Comments?

Richard.