Subject: Re: egcs / koffice
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/25/1998 10:21:54
On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Todd Whitesel wrote:

: > egcs does work, but do note that it can not be used to recompile the NetBSD
: > source tree yet.  (softfloat.c in libc makes use of a gcc 2.7 bug.)
:
: Hmmm, I was thinking of bringing in the latest version of softfloat, once I
: get my finicky CATS system to boot -current.
:
: Is there a description of the phenomenon in the mailing lists anywhere?

Actually, probably nothing detailed.  Richard Earnshaw and I were talking
about it in private mail.  Basically, gcc 2.7 was returning 64-bit struct
typedefs in two registers instead of on the stack.

I have a hack that Richard sent me as a stopgap that I will probably put in
for the egcs 1.1 generation; it's an __attribute__ that makes egcs emulate
that behavior.  Richard said he'd try to find a way to make the attribute
used MI for the egcs 1.2 trunk.

The unfortunate thing here is that this is how gcc 2.7 was working, AFAIK,
for all 64-bit struct typedefs.  It may be that egcs will need to be altered
to emulate this as a `historic compatibility' mode.  That does in fact mean
that there is some binary compatibility right now between gcc 2.7 and stock
egcs.