Subject: Re: MP3 Encoder
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: J3B <j3bkjjm@xs4all.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/14/1998 18:57:43
On Wed 14 Oct, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>  wrote:
>  > What most (all?) of us were looking for was a decent MP3 _decoder_ - player,
>  > to be more specific.  8-)
>
> did anyone contact the fellow in .fi who did the one for RiscOS to see
> if he felt like sharing his code or doing one for unix?

Please keep a low profile on MP3 decoders in this mailinglist.

The latest C'T [german & dutch computer magazine]
tells horror-stories about a law-firm trying to collect
money of up to US $ 25 per copy [even for PD-software]
stating that patents and/or other license agreements
apply and that the sample code or its deratives
contain many patented routines, that cannot be distributed
freely.
That law-firm is already approaching PD-software developers
to collect money for the patent-holders .....
They know their way around on the internet, so be warned.

Either a fully clean version of the software should be written
or MP3 be abandoned in the BSD / Linux world..

We have seen too many vultures trying to make a living
in this business. Let's starve these ones.

--

 3
e-mail: j3bkjjm@xs4all.nl