Subject: porting NetBSD to a new ARM board
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Valentin Pepelea <valentin@netcom.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/12/1998 04:32:00
I just completed an interview with a client that wants me to port NetBSD to
the ARM architecture.  :-)

Well, I didn't know it was NetBSD they needed ported, neither did I know that
NetBSD was already ported. They still don't know. I'm tempted to keep quiet
and pocket the money anyway.  :-)

All right, so all that has to be done is port NetBSD to their board. It's a
board intended for embedded systems, with only one ethernet and one SCSI port
on it. I don't know what chips they are using, but I'm pretty sure I'm covered.

So, how do I get started? First, compile the kernel. On what platform should
I do that? Should I first install NetBSD on a PC, and cross compile from there?
If I do that, will I have any difficulty creating a GCC cross-compiler first?

Then I need to write some bootstrap code, to boot off the net or the SCSI disk.
Is such code already included in the standard NetBSD release?

Where can I get further documentation on how to port BSD to a new board?

Valentin