Subject: fresh -current for CATS does not build.
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/11/1998 07:58:09
Today I brought over my freshly supped source tree (which works on i386) and
tried to build it on my CATS system. Previously the CATS system was running
the 19980805 CD distribution that came with the board. I used the -current
CATS config file to do these builds. So far I have not gotten any new kernels
running; other than make and config, I haven't rebuilt any of userland.

[ much build output deleted ]

rm -f netbsd
ld -Ttext F0000000 -e start -x -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} vers.o
pckbc.o: Undefined symbol `_pckbc_machdep_cnattach' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I noticed that some other ports have this function in their machdep.c file,
so I tried splicing one in based on what i386+alpha were doing. The resulting
kernels linked, but were DOA (dead on arrival).

By this I mean the CATS firmware would load /netbsd fine but after it printed
"Calling 0xF0000020" there would be absolutely nothing, except maybe a small
IDE activity light flash a fraction of a second later. The CATS was dead in
the water until reset.

I always keep /netbsd.old around because of exactly this sort of problem...

Another thing: I just noticed some messages "Failed page fault in kernel" --
they show up during booting my 19980805 kernel -- what the heck are those?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com