Subject: Adding a disk to a shark
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/08/1998 19:57:05
I've managed to lay my hands on a spare hard disk and I would like to make
my shark use it as its root & usr file system.  Ideally, I'd like to make
the machine boot directly from this as well.

Naively, I thought I could build a file system on the base disk and then
the Open Firmware would see that next time it booted and use that.
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there some magic I must cast in order to make this happen, or is my
machine basically screwed?  I can mount the disk ok once the machine has
been booted over the net, but the open firmware just can't seem to boot
from it.

I seem to have the "old" version of the firmware, August 28, 1997 if that
makes any difference.

Richard.

PS.  The dnard page http://www.research.digital.com/src/iag/info/new-firm.h
tml suggests that the firmware can be updated over the network, but it
doesn't say how.   Does anyone know?

R.