Subject: Re: Recent changes
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org, leo@klondike.dachau.marco.de>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/31/1998 15:16:53
> BTW, does anybody know, why my machine doesn't
> seem to use all its memory under NetBSD?

The value reported for "real mem" is indeed the amount of ram built into your
machine.  The value reported for "avail mem" is less than that for several
reasons:

The firmware needs some memory for itself.  With OpenFirmware, the firmware
is required to copy itself into ram and run from there (yes, there are
implementations that don't do this, most notably apple's implementations).
Since NetBSD at one point or another relies on the existance of OpenFirmware
it cannot and does not reuse this memory.

The avail mem doesn't include the memory used for the kernel itself.

There are various data structures allocated before the avail mem is
reported, and the memory allocated for these isn't included in the value
reported for avail mem.  Most notably this includes the memory used for
disk buffers, but there is some more.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
Wolfgang