Subject: cross-compiling arm32 from i386, howto?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/31/1998 03:05:29
Is there a writeup anywhere about how one can cross-compile a source tree
(say, -current) for arm32 from an i386 system?

Here is what I have, and what I plan to do:

Three machines. All three use the same model of ATX mid-tower case, though
there are slight differences because I didn't buy them all the same night
(gotta love the commodity PC market).

First machine: "uni" a PPro, all SCSI, big display, mucho disk. My main home
system. It runs 1.3.2 and will serve supped -current sources to...

Second machine: "vader" a PentiumMMX-233, all IDE, with the cheapest 'good'
peripherals I could find although some of the recent additions aren't working
just yet. It will be running i386-current and (I hope) cross-compiling for...

Third machine: "kenobi" a CATS/arm32, with most of the same peripherals as
vader (even their Aladdin SuperIO chips are the same). It will be running
arm32-current (perhaps I can help push the CATS merge to completion) and will
be acting as a testbed for a variety of things.

Since I will be reinstalling both vader & kenobi a lot, in order to cope with
sysinst (and keep my sanity) I have offered to take over as maintainer of it.

Ultimately I hope to have kenobi and vader running identical everything, or
at least as much as possible, so I can take them to NetBSD events and promote
the concept of non-i386 systems using commodity PC hardware and running the
same open-source software that everyone is used to running on their i386.

So, can anyone point me to sources of info about cross-compiling for one
NetBSD architecture from another?  I know there are people out there who
have done similar things, and if it isn't currently easy then I am quite
prepared to work at automating and documenting whatever I discover.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com