Subject: Re: getting a CATS to use el cheapo ne0 & sb0
To: None <mark@causality.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/31/1998 02:24:12
> 2. I can only read from the raw floppy device. Reading the block device is
> resulting is garbage data. (This does not prevent the CATS/EBSA285 code
> being committed).

FWIW, I haven't bothered to buy a floppy for my CATS machine, although if the
firmware were able to boot from it, I would get one so I could make and test
install floppies.

> 3. The CATS / EBSA285 1.3F sources have a bus mastering IDE driver that
> will not be committed. This will mean a loss of performance on disk I/O
> until the NetBSD MI driver supports it.

I'm a little confused by this. The CATS IDE is part of an ALi SuperIO chip,
which is one half of the Aladdin V chipset that my scratch i386 system uses.

How much of your bus mastering driver is for the SuperIO (which is in
principle MI) versus the footbridge (and therefore StrongARM specific) ?
Or are there other bits that are hopelessly CATS specific?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com