Subject: Re: cheap performance boost tip
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/30/1998 23:37:19
Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com> writes:
> Okay, but I'll wager that their default fstab does not mount /tmp as an MFS.
> That last bit is sort of the whole point.

On many, perhaps most, systems, it may not be _desirable_ to mount
/tmp as an MFS, and it's certainly not something that's desirable as
the default.

I don't know if you're familiar with the 4BSD-derived MFS
implementations, but:

Using an MFS will eat a certain amount of swap space, etc.  Eat, not
'borrow.'  It's not a SunOS-style mfs that "borrows" space from swap,
instead the mount_mfs process allocates a large chunk of space for the
FS, and that space acts just like malloc'd memory in any other process
would, and is freed only when the mfs is unmounted.

cgd
Plug: Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today! http://www.netbsd.com/