Subject: Re: bootstrapping a CATS board.
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/26/1998 01:57:55
> i386 and arm32 uses the same disklabel address, but you can (of course)
> _not_ have a DOS disklabel on the disk.

And, it turns out, the i386 disklabel will put a phony DOS disklabel on your
disk whether you ask for it or not.

> I installed from the 19980805 CD onto an ATA disk on an Alpha a week ago.
> The Alpha writes the disklabel at the wrong address (Sec 0 off 64) and
> the CATS firmware wants it at Sec 1 off 0, so I had to move it with dd.

Research indicates that the i386 disklabel goes at Sec 1 off 0 of rwd0c, but
that rwd0c is not quite at the front of the disk. The necessary correction:

	dd if=/dev/rwd0c of=/dev/rwd0d count=1 skip=1 seek=1

Mark/Neil, perhaps a mention could be made of this in the CATS notes that
ship with the board?

Someday we should have a compatibility option in the kernel that activates
code to read every other arch's disklabels. Grr.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com