Subject: Re: Problems with current kernels on RiscPC
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/24/1998 19:06:53
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Mike Pumford wrote:

> I a having problems booting a kernel built from sources supped on
> 20/8/1998. The machine is a 200MHz StrangARM RiscPC with 48MB RAM and 2MB
> VRAM which fails as follows.
>
> init subsystems:stacks vectors undefined pmap panic: Branch to never-never land (zero)..... we're dead
>
> boot: howto=00000100 curproc=f016e3e0
> splmasks & ipl masks
>
> If I enable ddb the panic tries to enter ddb but the kernel repeatedly
> reports that the undefined instruction used to enter the debugger is
> undefined instead of entering ddb.
Hi,
  I have just noticed this problem. This appears to have been caused be a
recent change somewhere (The last RPC kernel I built just over a week ago
worked fine). I'm looking into the problem. It appears that for some
currently unknown reason the return from pmap_bootstrap() is going via the
reset vetor ;-(

Cheers,
				Mark