Subject: bootstrapping a CATS board.
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/24/1998 02:44:28
Whee!  My CATS board arrived on friday.

I swapped it into a working system that had previously been using a P5MMX
motherboard. It does take a while to chug through the video firmware, but
it seems to have found everything (32MB RAM, 2 IDE HD's, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP).

However it appears to present me with a catch-22 for installing it without
a network connection to another machine. The CD doesn't appear to be bootable
by the firmware; if I hack the CD's install script and use a NetBSD/i386
machine to prepare a ZIP disk, the firmware does not want to boot that guy
either. I also don't see anything that looks like an install floppy image.

The ethernet card I have in this chassis is a $10 PnP-ISA NE2000 clone, but
the firmware doesn't probe that, only the true PCI devices. BTW the 'pci
scan' output for my system scrolls off the top of the screen and so is hard
to completely read.

Next thing I am going to try is swapping the Pentium motherboard back in
and using it to install wd0 from the CATS CD. Presumably the CATS firmware
will at least attempt to boot a netbsd kernel from that.

But it is time for bed here on the pacific US coast where I am, so I thought
I'd file a report here on port-arm32 before hitting the sack.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com