Subject: Re: NetBSD/arm32 on CATS
To: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/18/1998 10:31:14
On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:03:49 +0100 (BST)
 Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com> wrote:

 > A number of MI PCI drivers can be used. The proviso is that they MUST be
 > bus space and bus dma based drivers. Drivers that support bus mastering
 > but not bus dma will not work with the ARM.

FWIW, I think this is all of them except:

	SCSI: NCR driver.  "Good luck."  This driver is so badly structured,
	I'm not sure it's worth trying unless you just rewrite it.

	Ethernet: ThunderLAN driver.  Should be ~trivial to convert.

Two PCI network drivers currently slightly misuse bus_dma (and I feel
somewhat guilty about the latter, because I wrote the bloody thing :-):

	fxp (Intel EtherExpress PRO 10+/100B/100+), epic (SMC EtherPower-II)

...they don't do partial map syncs on the descriptor memory, because they
were bus_dma'd or written before the partial sync support existed, and I
have been too lazy to fix that :-)  Should be ~trivial to fix.  Anyhow,
because of the missing sync support, you'll get coherency problems in the
descriptor memory, possible, although I believe these drivers map it w/
BUS_DMA_COHERENT, which should cause them to be mapped non-cached on the
arm32, so they might work OK.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942