Subject: SHARK console video initialization
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/16/1998 03:38:47
I have an unmodified Shark that I've hooked to a television with both
S-Video and composite (RCA) jacks. When the device is first booted, the
PROMs initialize the video, and it looks OK (overscanned, but OK) on a
garden variety Sony TV.

Unfortunately, when the NetBSD kernel takes over, the video goes from
working to not working in that the screen spins vertically (something that
twiddling with the old "vertical hold" knob on a TV might fix, if mine had
one...).

Why are the NetBSD kernel's video initialization parameters for this chip
different than the PROMs?

	curious,

	Erik <fair@clock.org>