Subject: Re: Shark MIDI
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org, augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/14/1998 19:45:43
> game@i201 at ofisa0 not configured
> midi@i330 at ofisa0 not configured
> ess0 at ofisa0 (sound@i220): ESST,es1887-codec
>
> These three are really handled by the same chip, the ESS1887.
> Has OFW already programmed the ESS1887 to have the midi port at
> 330 at this point?  (You need to set a config register for
> it to appear there.)

Yes, the device should already be configured to be at the specified address.

> If it has done that and the MIDI port
> is not sharing an interrupt with the sound I could make the
> mpu401 driver attach to ofisa.

Hmm, looking into the properties of the devices I see that the sound has
2 interrupts, namely 9 and 15, both high level sensitive, allocated and
the midi has interrupt 9, also high level sensitive, allocated.  So yes,
midi and sound do share an interrupt, but since it is level triggered, it
should be possible to make it work.

> If I want to write an mpu401_ofisa driver, how do I find out
> what strings I should match for in the probe routine?

You should probably look for "MPU401" in the "compatible" property.  And use
the "reg" property to find the address of the chip, and the "interrupt"
property to find the interrupt.

You can find a lot of documentation at the OpenFirmware home page at
http://playground.sun.com/1275/home.html (as I've just stated in another mail
yesterday :-)).  In particular for the ISA devices you may find the bindings
document at "http://playground.sun.com/1275/bindings/isa/isa0_4d.ps of value.

Hope it helps.

Ciao,
Wolfgang