Subject: Re: Filecorefs is here ...
To: Gilbert Christopher <GilbeC@tetraworld.com>
From: Andrew McMurry <a.mcmurry1@physics.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/14/1998 11:17:04
> > > Just to let you know Andrew McMurray's filecore filesystem is now
                                        ^
Actually there is no 'a' in my surname. The commit message has it correct.

> AFAIR it's a file system that lets you read Acorn partitions, bit like
> reading your windows partition on an PC in NetBSD, you can read an Acorn
> RISCOS (probably ADFS one) in NetBSD.

Any Acorn RISCOS filesystem that uses the standard filecore format
will be understood. This includes ADFS, IDEFS ... One proviso, is that
if any system (eg various people's IDEFSs) has its own multiple
partition format, then filecorefs will only read the first
partition. Until, that is, I am sent the docs that describe how the
multiple partitions are implemented (and I save up enough round
tuits).

> Is it known which filesystems it works on? eg IDEFS, ATAFS (the IDE
> cards)?

Please try it on as many filesystems as you can and email me with the
results.

Filecorefs is known to have problems on i386 systems. So you can't
read RISCOS formatted Zip/Syquest etc. disks on i386 systems yet.
This is being looked into.

Floppies don't work either, as the floppy driver cannot yet handle the
ADFS format. (If you put a filecore fs onto a standard DOS 1.44 disk
it should work. I wonder whether ADFS would cope with that).

	Andrew