Subject: Re: Shark audio, part 6
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd1.cygnus.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/12/1998 08:15:59
Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se> writes:
> I get the same behaviour as when I tried to enable long DMA transfers.
> The symptom is that sometimes playing 16 bit sounds just produces
> noise.  A little further investigation reveals that the bytes that
> are play are swapped (as can easily be heard by playing with `dd conv=swab´).
> You can often get in and out of this mode by doing `echo "  " >/dev/sound´
> a few times.

That's a symptom that you might easily see if you're reading 16-bit
values with the 'h'-style load instruction or writing them with the
corresponding store, and the address you're reading or writing is
unaligned...  If that kind of situation might occur, and if the echoes
could possibly fix it, i'd suspect it as a possibility.

cgd