Subject: Re: strh on a SHARK
To: None <richard.earnshaw@arm.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/10/1998 15:14:57
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> Is the shark port of NetBSD supposed to support the full StrongARM
> instruction set?  I'm using the -current snapshot set of binaries/kernel
> from ftp.netbsd.org?

Erm well it should do though I have not played with ldrh and strh from
userland binaries very much, mainly just in the kernel.

> $ uname -a
> NetBSD shark1 1.3F NetBSD 1.3F (SHARK) #0: Fri Jun 26 10:33:59 EDT 1998
>  tv@nc1.home.duh.org:/usr/SRC/netbsd/src/sys/arch/arm32/compile/SHARK arm32
>
> While trying to test out a snapshot of EGCS 1.1 development tree, I tried
> to build the Xemacs package, but the emacs binary seems to be looping
> infinitely into the kernel when trying to execute a strh instruction to
> the first word of a page (I suspect the page is newly allocated, but can't
> be sure).

Ok this could be a bug in the fault handler. There should not be any
actual register fixups requires for the SA110 that some of the older ARM
needs but the faulting instruction is disassembled to determine if the
fault was caused by a load or a store. I suspect that this is going wrong
for the strh and ldrh instructions and thus the page is only ever being
mapped as read only which would explain the looping ..

I'll take a look.

Cheers,
				Mark