Subject: Why is a 1.3E kernel better than later ones for comms?
To: NetBSD-arm32 <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Millen <dmill@globalnet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/14/1998 11:08:50
Hi,

I have discoverd that an old 1.3e kernel with a date sometime in March gives
almost perfect serial port/modem performance(only 5 silo overerflows when doing
'sup -a -d' for the whole of pkgsrc) and what appears to be full speed.

Later 1.3.2 kernels and 'snapshot' kernels all regularly give anything up to 72
silo overflows at a time and data transfer rates can drop to a crawl! Why is
this?

Is this something peculiar to my system(RiscPC), or is it something more
widespread?

regards,
Dave
--
Customer: "I'm running Windows 95 and Internet Explorer 4."
Tech Support: "Y-e-e-e-e-s........"

e-mail: dmill@globalnet.co.uk
net: http://www.largesalad.co.uk