Subject: Re: Bootloader option for disabling ICS ARCIN IDE interface?
To: John Lagrue <jdl@cableol.co.uk>
From: Dave Millen <dmill@globalnet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/11/1998 23:42:33
John Lagrue wrote:

> If you do find a way of installing and running RISC-BSD on ICS IDEFS discs
> then please let me know. I've been asking for 6 months with no response at
> all :-(

Salutations,

Weeellll, I have a test kernel that Mark Brinicome <mark@causality.com> posted on the
old RiscBSD ftp site a couple of months or so ago. This works with NetBSD-arm32 on a
combination of ADFS and ICS ARCIN drives. Since it's a test kernel, it has some
debugging code left in, but it works well enough!
There was also an install kernel, but I upgraded manually from 1.2 to 1.3 (can't
remember the version) when the kernels became available (probably a mistake) so I
didn't get the matching install kernel :(

Unfortunately, there's nothing at all ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk now and theres's no sign of it
on the new NetBSD ftp site(s).
I, too, have written to Mark since the test kernels, but he hasn't replied yet.

I have just upgraded to 1.3.2 and found that the new kernels still won't work with the
ICS i/f - so I bit the bullet and did a major shuffle on my hard drives in order to
accomodate all of NetBSD on the 850Mb hard drive attached to the motherboard. I then
unplugged the ICS i/f, (changing all the RiscOS stuff) , used the new install kernel
to install and configure and then re-attached the ICS card, reset all the RiscOS stuff
and used the old test kernel that Mark had made available to avoid having to unplug
the card all the time.

This worked, but there were a few problems with permissions etc, so I searched the
archives and found a bootloader option  'podule#.disable', where # is the slot no.
with 0 being the bottom one etc. Using this option I was able to use a current kernel
to match the install kernel that I had used and all is now well ;~))))  This will only
help if you don't want any NetBSD partitions on your ICS IDE drives.

regards,
Dave.

--
Customer: "I'm running Windows 95 and Internet Explorer 4."
Tech Support: "Y-e-e-e-e-s........"

e-mail: dmill@globalnet.co.uk
net: http://www.largesalad.co.uk