Subject: Re: Can not run XEmacs after installing UVM.
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/10/1998 00:25:03
On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Ib-Michael Martinsen wrote:

> However this has left me in a state where I cannot use some parts of
> XEmacs v19.15. It starts allright, but on the welcome page the
> colour of XEmacs is in grey and not in full blue. There are no error
> messages given.
>
> If I the try to start the mail or news packages of XEmacs I get the
> following errors:

> remove-message-hook-error:   (error Memory exhausted)
> Memory exhausted

I would guess that XEmacs has been confused by a change to an internal
kernel structure.

I don't know how to solve your problem since I upgraded my XEmacs to 20.3
courtesy of a tweaked for arm32 version of the NetBSD package. I could
arrage to transfer this to you for installation with pkg_add. However this
is 13MB of tar file and is built to install in /usr/local rather than
/usr/pkg (the standard NetBSD package prefix). VM and Gnus work fine with
this build of XEmacs which was actually built for NetBSD 1.3E with UVM
enabled. Note the size of the tgz is significant since I'm in the UK on
the wrong side of a V34 modem connection to the internet. However if you
mail me we can come to some arrangement for the transfer of this package
and the packages it depends on.

As an aside how do I go about submitting a patch for a package? I have a
simple patch which will enable the XEmacs 20.3 package to work for arm32.
When I come back from my holiday I intend to submit this patch to the
XEmacs maintainers for inclusion in later versions and I would like to
submit the patch to the package maintainer until it is incorporated
directly into the standard XEmacs distribution.

Mike