Subject: Re: netbsd port for StrongArm EBSA-110 kit
To: Sarvanan <sara@sharada.ncore.soft.net>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/24/1998 19:32:15
On Fri, 22 May 1998, Sarvanan wrote:

> 1. Where can get the NetBSD port for StrongArm EBSA-110 kit?

You can't. As yet there is not a complete port to the EBSA-110.
A port exists for the EBSA-285 and this will be merging into
NetBSD-current shortly but this is completely different to the 110.
A port may be forth coming but I cannot say when.

> ---
>
> 2. What sort of cross development environment is required form
>    compiling the ported sources?
>
>    I have netbsd running on standard intel x86 pc.  But I do not
>    have GNU cross compiler for arm32.  What should I user for
>    the target flag of configure script ( arm-unknown-coff,
>    arm-unknown-aout, ...) for building a GNU cross
>    compiler ?

I have not cross compiled for ages now. However the compiler and assembler
are the standard GNU tools so these can easily be configured.
I normally use --target=arm-unknown-netbsd
A cross linker can be build from the netbsd sources fairly
strightforwardly for something like NetBSD/i386.

Until I was able to compile under NetBSD/arm32 I did all my development by
cross compiling from an i386 box using GNU and NetBSD tools.

>    I have ARM-SDK on a intel x86 Windows-NT.  Does the ported
>    source have a batch file (or something that can run on NT)
>    to compile the ported NetBSD?

The ARM-SDK is not going to prove that useful in build NetBSD. I believe
it will require a significant amount of work to get things going.
1. ARM-SDK will not compile the kernel assembler files. These would need
to be adapted or cross assembler build of gas will be needed.
2. ARM-SDK does not generate NetBSD-a.out binaries
3. Not sure how the ARM-SDK will like various bits in header files and C
files.

Certainly it would be interesting to know how much of the kernel the SDK
could compile. One day if I have time I will give it a go.

For the present I would suggest sticking to using the GNU and NetBSD
tools.

Cheers,
				Mark