Subject: Re: Revision K strongarms ...
To: Stephen Hobbs <stevehobbs@enterprise.net>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/13/1998 22:27:42
On Wed, 13 May 1998, Stephen Hobbs wrote:

> Please stop talking about this - I have a Rev K chip, but have had no troubles
> until this bug was mentioned, then last night, when BSD hung utterly three
> times in a row, probably whilst paging (was running X with several tasks).
> Up till then I had only had one other crash, about this time last year IIRC.
> This may be coincidence, but I'm not sure ;-)

Oddly enough I'd not seen any of this until it was mentioned, even then I
can't tell if a crash is a crash because of this or some other reason,
maybe a freak batch of SA's work, perhaps we've have more magical smoke(*)
than others ;)

Something that crossed my mind is has it any bearing on the Hard-disc
used? ie does slow access cause it more regularly?  I've been using a
quantum fireball running from a RapIDE with BSD, doing lots of compiling,
and it all works fine.  One or two odd crashes, but I expect that when
hacking with things.

Anyone else like to comment on if it's a speed thing?

my present spec is:  bsd 1.3.1 on rapide attached quantum, 48+1 mb of
ram, all ram standard 60ns non-parity simms, none of it EDO.

Cheers
Chris

(*) smoke being that bit that works the chip, ever noticed that a chip
stops working if the smoke escapes, try overloading one puff out comes the
smoke and it stops working ;)