Subject: Non-Acorn conformant podules (1.3 Alpha hangs)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Theo Markettos <theo@marketto.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/10/1998 12:48:34
I've got an ARM610 Risc PC running the Acorn World CD release of 1.3 Alpha,
with a kernel dated 22 November 97 (on booting it says kernel #1).  After a
few teething troubles, this now works fine with my Morley uncached SCSI card
in podule slot 0.

I've recently also put in a prototype podule that I've built
which has some static RAM instead of the normal EPROM.  When the machine is
first turned on, the RAM is scrambled, but RISC OS (usually) happily ignores
it, as it would have to have the podule present and Acorn conformance bits in
the correct pattern for it to be recognised.

On some occasions when BSD is booted, it enumerates the podules, roughly:

podulebus0:  Morley : SCSI : Morley SCSI Expansion with CDFS 2.21
podulebus1:  Non-Acorn conformant expansion card

It then goes on to scan mosc0 and spot the MaxIT drive containing a RiscBSD
formatted disc which is my main BSD disc.  Once it's finished scanning the
SCSI chain, it then appears to hang (Ctrl-Esc doesn't work).  If it is booted
without the second podule present, it carries on as normal.

How does RiscBSD handle non-conformant podules?  Surely it should just ignore
them and carry on?  Does it handle them at all?

Apologies if this has already been fixed...

Cheers,
Theo

--
Theo Markettos		Home:	theomarkettos@letterbox.com