Subject: Hanging RiscBSD
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jochen Scharrlach <jscharrl@BA-Stuttgart.De>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/10/1998 12:03:49
Hi,

sorry if this a FAQ, but I have a strange problem on my SA-RPC: When I
tried to boot RiscBSD 1.2 the first time for several months it hang
while fsck'ing /usr - no, it didn't just take ages (that would be
normal), but it printed two very strange signs on the last line
(nothing that is contained in the character set, just bitmap garbage)
and that's it. I said to myself, ok a bug in fsck, let's get the new
distrib. I did, fsck went fine, but when I tried to install the
base-set I got the same effect. I tried it several times and at last
even the commandline froze away. I am quite confused - 1.2 worked
quite fine and I didn't change the hardware in the meantime. RiscOS
and the PC-emu work normal. Any hint?

My config: RiscPC 600 (one of those that didn't have 16bit sound), SA
with STM^-bug, 32MB RAM, 2MB VRAM, Cumana II, 3GB Fireball (SCSI) with
2.5GB RiscBSD partition, Atomwide 3* highspeed-serial podule. I tried
the RPCINST-971120 kernel.

I'll try it with my ARM610 - as soon as I find it...

Thanks,
Jochen

--
                      EMail:   jscharrl@ba-stuttgart.de