Subject: Re: Revision K strongarms ...
To: ct <ct@comlab.oxford.ac.uk>
From: None <kim@pvv.ntnu.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/08/1998 09:16:36
> On Thu 07 May, Neil A. Carson wrote:
> > I've had an ugly thought: Hack the kernel to check,
> > when it pages a page in, if the last instruction is an LDR, if so, bring
> > in the next page too :) Or did someone already start implementing this,
> > I can't remember... This is _so_ ugly though!
>
> Ugly? Uglier than hacking the linker and compiler to produce dodgy code
> for all our binaries? This allows _one_ binary to be fiddled to patch
> the entire problem, which can easily be changed back for non-broken SA's.
> Sounds like a much nicer solution! Go for it, start coding Neil!

I agree. It is a beautiful, simple, elegant, and fast solution.
In 4% of cases, an extra page will be loaded, which is an overhead
so small that I can live with it. Besides, just give us a new
kernel with this patch, and things should start working.

The complexity is low, it is located in one place, and do not
affect other things noticeably. Thats the marks of elegancein my book.

Kim0