Subject: Re: Serving Acorn CDs
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: Matthew Wilcox <willy@odie.barnet.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/23/1998 16:09:17
Wolfgang Solfrank

> > I have implemented a patch against the current Linux development kernel
> > (2.1.89) which implements filename translation (mapping _ to !) and
> > filetypes (by appending `,xxx' to the end of filenames as NFS clients
> > expect).  The upshot of this is that one can now run applications from
> > an NFS-mounted CD-ROM drive exported from a Linux machine.  I'd like
> > people to test this before I submit the patch to Linus.  If you're
> > interested, it's available from
>
> Hmm, does this really mean what I read into it?  Namely that you are
> munging the filename as read from the CD in order to accomodate some
> broken software that doesn't supply the correct filenames as recorded
> on the disk?  If so, such a hack is definitly NOT going into the NetBSD
> cd9660 support (as long as I can help it anyway).

Since I wrote the announcement for Acorn people, it's probably unclear
to the wider community.  Acorn's RISC OS encodes 12 bits of metadata about
each file.  When accessing files across NFS, the conventional way of
encoding these bits is by appending the string `,1b8' for a file with
type 0x1b8.  If Acorn had had any sense, this is how they would have
added this data to CD-ROMs.  But they didn't, it's in the OS-specific
data.  It's impossible to construct otherwise.

Those who habitually engage in Linux-bashing may wish to note that this
patch has not yet been submitted and there is no guarantee that it will
be accepted into Linux once I do submit it.

--
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox