Subject: Re: Serving Acorn CDs
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG, sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/23/1998 16:49:36
> I have implemented a patch against the current Linux development kernel
> (2.1.89) which implements filename translation (mapping _ to !) and
> filetypes (by appending `,xxx' to the end of filenames as NFS clients
> expect).  The upshot of this is that one can now run applications from
> an NFS-mounted CD-ROM drive exported from a Linux machine.  I'd like
> people to test this before I submit the patch to Linus.  If you're
> interested, it's available from

Hmm, does this really mean what I read into it?  Namely that you are
munging the filename as read from the CD in order to accomodate some
broken software that doesn't supply the correct filenames as recorded
on the disk?  If so, such a hack is definitly NOT going into the NetBSD
cd9660 support (as long as I can help it anyway).

Something I might consider (albeit I'm still pretty sure that I'd get
ache in my stomach implementing it) is using a filesystem layer to
translate names.  Note that this is just an idea that occured to me,
haven't thought about it too much yet.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800