Subject: Re: xterm termcap and reboot
To: None <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/22/1998 14:31:51
Hi,

In message <4e8b8a2a48%tonyh@tonyh.tcp.co.uk> you wrote:

> I'm having problems with termcap under X. Some programs are complaining
> that they can't find a termcap entry, irc-II can't find one "for
> network" and gives up (but it works on the console), joe says something
> that doesn't stay put long enough to read because it carries on OK.

This surprises me as I thought that netbsd had a fairly complete termcap
database, the one I've got is about 500k for the file, and 1.4Mb for the
db file in /usr/share/misc/  What does your TERM variable say? Perhaps
you've got something that's picking up the wrong type of terminal.

> reboot usually now freezes just before the end of the 5..4..3..2..1 bit.
> It started happening after I compiled a kernel from current as of 14
> March. I got some compile errors for an ether driver so I changed the
> config so it only contained drivers I really need (no SCSI, ether or 3rd
> party IDE).

I've got this problem as well, probably using the same source, from what
I remember it's something to do with the machine not being in quite the
expected state.  I think it's a strong-arm thing (although I can't
remember) this is assuming it's the same problem as in the past.

> But as this is after the sync's it shouldn't have affected that file I
> supposedly edited.

Sync should have updated the file, so perhaps something is wrong with
the reboot, ie it's trying to reboot before the sync has finished?  Does
anyone know what the 2 numbers after the sync message mean?  I normally
get 3 3 or 4 4...

On a different note I've got the audio driver responding to things now,
but it's still got some work to be done on it, at the moment it just
does 8bit stuff, but works with 16 bit, and shouldn't take much
alteration to get it doing 16 bit stuff.  However I'm off for a week and
half, so won't be doing much for a while, hopefully in about 4 weeks
I'll have a working audio driver.

cheers,
Chris