Subject: Re: Stuff
To: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/11/1998 11:28:23
--------------0EF993635393E71C53B00FBC

Robert Black wrote:

> > Why does UnixFS claim 4.5M of RMA when you start it up ?!
>
> UnixFS is not intended to be a smoothly polished fully-fledged filing system.
> To turn it into one would be a major undertaking and would require more time
> than we have available to spend on it. It may be annoying that it takes lots of
> memory but if it would take too much time to figure out why and reduce it then
> it isn't worth doing. I'm sure Scott will look and see whether it is obvious
> what it is being used for.

I believe it's in fact due to an allocate of a large volume of 'temprary
RAM' for odd reads into, etc. ie the areas that 'bsd will normally bread
into buffers. Don't know if this much is ever used at once, though.
Really it's Scotts call. One idea may be to move it into a dynamic area.

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson   Business development, Causality and Chalice Technology
Causality:       WWW: http://www.causality.com email: neil@causality.com

begin:          vcard
fn:             Neil A. Carson
n:              Carson;Neil A.