Subject: Re: Stuff
To: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
From: Mr S.K. Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/11/1998 11:20:42
At Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:23:33 +0000, "Robert Black" wrote:
>On Mar 10, 10:42pm, gARetH baBB wrote:
>> Subject: Stuff
>> Probably being very naive, but ...
>>
>> Why is it deemed you have 2 (3 inc swap) partitions, one for / and one for
>> /usr - is there anything wrong with having one big one which covers
>> everything in / ?
>
>You can have everything in one partition if you like. Its up to you. One
>advantage of a small / partition is that if something goes horribly wrong with
>your boot sequence and you need to come up in single user mode it is faster if
>you only need to fsck the / partition.

You also have the advantage that if (say) a process runs away writing a bit
file to you home directory (filling the partition), it won't affect any system
processes (writing to /).

>> Why does UnixFS claim 4.5M of RMA when you start it up ?!
>
>UnixFS is not intended to be a smoothly polished fully-fledged filing system.

This is certainly true.

>To turn it into one would be a major undertaking and would require more time
>than we have available to spend on it. It may be annoying that it takes lots o
>memory but if it would take too much time to figure out why and reduce it then
>it isn't worth doing. I'm sure Scott will look and see whether it is obvious
>what it is being used for.

I know exactly where it's going (block cache). I should make the size of this
configurable. But at the time, I thought anyone considering running RiscBSD is
going to have plenty of memory...

This memory is also allocated in one big block and so should cause RMA
fragmentation.

>Cheers
>
>Rob

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Imperial College. Tel/Fax: 0171 594 6975/7 Mob: 07970 716 712
"You will be joining a society where you will be compelled to have sex