Subject: Re: Feature of the EtherM
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: S.J. Borrill <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/10/1998 10:14:11
> Hello
>
> I've got the following statemant from ant:
> > > My card ist connected via 10base2 (BNC) not UTP.
> > > But it works !!!
> >
> > This is normal.  The EtherM driver enables auto-sensing on the card, but the
> > network port which is being used is not reported back correctly by the
> > controller in this mode.  Hence it will say that UTP is selected even when
> > BNC is being used.  It's just one of those "undocumented features"!
>
> Just an info for the kernel--team.
> I don't hope, that there are more of such features ...

That's not the main problem. The big problem is that if a packet is
received when the buffer memory is being tested the driver will bomb out.
There doesn't appear to be a way to switch off this behaviour. That's as
well as the very-slow-at-doing-everything behaviour you sometimes get if
you boot up without a cable attached (that's a driver problem though
IMHO).

Stephen