Subject: Re: Monitor files etc
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/30/1998 11:34:12
On Jan 28,  8:48pm, Tony Houghton wrote:
> Subject: Monitor files etc
> Is there a way to get the console to boot up in a decent mode from my
> own modefile instead of the hardwired one? At the moment it starts up in
> a 69Hz mode (not present in my MDF) instead of the 75Hz one I want. If I
> want X to be usable without giving me a horrible headache I have to
> execute a setdisplay before starting it.

Compile your own kernel :-( Or start using the new console.

> I see the console still suffers from that bizarre bug where all the text
> gets corrupted if you try to use an 800x600 mode (and the best frame
> rate available is 60Hz :-(). I think 800x600 would be preferable to
> 1024x768 for the console even on a 17" monitor. I was forced to use
> 640x480 on my old 14" monitor, because 1024x768 was too much of an
> eyestrain.

I really wish I knew what was causing that. I doubt that the old console will
ever be fixed. If anybody sees this problem in the new console please report
it. Talking of which there is a new kernel online, but more of that in my next
message.

Cheers

Rob