Subject: RE: New kernels
To: None <a.mcmurry1@physics.oxford.ac.uk>
From: None <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/28/1998 16:26:03
Andrew McMurry wrote,

>> Does anyone have a RISCPC kernel compiled from recent current sources?
>> I would like one with support for the Atomwide Serial Port Expansion Card
>> compiled in. I tried compiling my own, but got stuck trying to run config.
>> It produced lots of syntax errors in the /usr/src/sys/conf/files file.
>

>You need a new /usr/sbin/config. I'm not in front of my machine now, so I
>can't
>check, but I'm pretty sure that config comes with ksrc-common, so you should
>have
>the latest sources if you've got current kernel source. cd to
>/usr/src/usr-sbin/config
>and do,
>
>	make depend && make && make install
>
>Then do a kernel build as per normal.
>
>> Also, does anyone yet have a compiler, linker, ld.so, crt0.o combination
>> that actually works with 1.3alpha for compiling shared libraries?

Yes again, tho' after quite a bit of hassle. None of Marks patches have
worked for me
with the 1.3 alpha CD stuff, so I gave up and installed 1.3 release from
ftp.netbsd.org.
This gave me a c++ compiler that seemed to be OK (qt built perfectly),
and a c compiler
that core dumped on hello world. I made the c problem go away by
replacing
/usr/libexec/cc1 with the corresponding binary from 1.3 alpha, but then
ran into a new
c++ problem trying to build kdebase ... one of the kfm .cpp files caused
c++ to swap
like mad and eventually fall over with either random bogus compile time
errors and/or
core dumps. I got this problem to go away by replacing
/usr/libexec/cc1plus with the
1.3 alpha binary. Everything seems to be fine now :-)

Cheers,

Miles