Subject: More 1.3 X(man) woes
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/27/1998 18:34:01
One "ct" (thanks ct) helped me out with some xman files for 1.3. Where
to put most of them seemed clear enough by examining the 1.2 set, except
for what looked like a config file called Xman.da. I installed that as
/usr/X11R6.3/app-defaults/Xman.

Unfortunately when I try to start xman now I get:

  Xman Error: Could not allocate memory for manual sections

ct did warn me of random errors at startup, but this seems more serious,
as it doesn't seem to continue beyond that point.

There are also a couple of problems with Xarm_config. It reports:

  vidc : unknown device

The relevant line seems to be

  (cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV vidc)

I'm stuck there, "UNIX in a Nutshell" being unenlightening for figuring
out what ./MAKEDEV means. Would this be responsible for the side-effect
of X starting up in a mode with different attributes from the one in my
MDF which the console appears to be correctly using?

Also, Xarm_config links /dev/mouse to /dev/qms instead of the required
/dev/qms0.

--
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/