Subject: Re: Missing documentation ?
To: John Lagrue <jdl@cableol.co.uk>
From: Kim G. S. \yhus <kim@pvv.ntnu.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/27/1998 10:37:54
> In message <199801260904.KAA01146@ra.pvv.ntnu.no.pvv> you wrote:
> > You can get my notes:
> > Kim0
> > Subject: How I installed 1.3 NetBSD arm32
> >
> > I downloaded the sets (such as base.tgz) and the loader
> > from the net, using ANT internet suite.
>
> OK so far - except  used a variant on Freenet :-)

I installed that at my sisters. Useful, but doesn't use the modem
continuously.

> > I then formatted my 4.3GB IDE disc to RiscOS, but only on
> > the 300 first sectors.
>
> Hmmmmm. My disc is formatted by the ICS s/w into 510Mb, 512Mb and 200Mb; all
> RISC OS partitions.

You must only format some sectors, making the rest of the disc free for
NetBSD.

> > Then I ran the program bb_riscbsd (from the loader) to make
> > the rest of it accessible to NetBSD.
>
> As far as I can see, bb_riscbsd seems to do nothing! It warns that the
> virtual disc  want to use if already allocated to RISC OS and asks if I want
> to continue. I say 'yes', it asks for another confirmation and then asks me
> to press any key to continue. On so doing it writes to the disc and then
> exits. Unfortunately nothing seems to have changed with the disc :-(

It has made the rest of the disc accessible to NetBSD.
You, however, don't seem to have a free part on your disc.

> > Then I uncompressed the kernels with gunzip, before I
> > downloaded them. You must set their datatype to "data",
> > since this is what the bootloader unnecessarily demands.
>
> Thanks for the tip on 'data' filetype. At least I can now boot into RPCINST.
> Not that it gets very far. IT finds the IDE interface and then seems to
> freeze.

Weird. I had to remove my EtherM card to unfreeze.

> > Then I started the bootloader, put the RISCPCINST kernel into it,
> > and started.
>
> See above. It will not get past this point!
>
> Any further ideas from anybody? I couldn't get past a similar point with ARM
> Linux, so when I read that FreeBSD supported the ICS interface I was
> delighted. So was somebody fibbing in the INSTALL page? Or am I doing
> something wrong?

Not as far as I can tell.

Kim0