Subject: Re: Missing documentation ?
To: Kim G. S. \yhus <kim@pvv.ntnu.no>
From: John Lagrue <jdl@cableol.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/26/1998 23:19:59
In message <199801260904.KAA01146@ra.pvv.ntnu.no.pvv> you wrote:

> You can get my notes:
>
> Kim0
>

> Subject: How I installed 1.3 NetBSD arm32
>

> I downloaded the sets (such as base.tgz) and the loader
> from the net, using ANT internet suite.

OK so far - except  used a variant on Freenet :-)

> I then formatted my 4.3GB IDE disc to RiscOS, but only on
> the 300 first sectors.

Hmmmmm. My disc is formatted by the ICS s/w into 510Mb, 512Mb and 200Mb; all
RISC OS partitions.

> Then I ran the program bb_riscbsd (from the loader) to make
> the rest of it accessible to NetBSD.

As far as I can see, bb_riscbsd seems to do nothing! It warns that the
virtual disc  want to use if already allocated to RISC OS and asks if I want
to continue. I say 'yes', it asks for another confirmation and then asks me
to press any key to continue. On so doing it writes to the disc and then
exits. Unfortunately nothing seems to have changed with the disc :-(

> Then I uncompressed the kernels with gunzip, before I
> downloaded them. You must set their datatype to "data",
> since this is what the bootloader unnecessarily demands.

Thanks for the tip on 'data' filetype. At least I can now boot into RPCINST.
Not that it gets very far. IT finds the IDE interface and then seems to
freeze.

> Then I started the bootloader, put the RISCPCINST kernel into it,
> and started.

See above. It will not get past this point!

Any further ideas from anybody? I couldn't get past a similar point with ARM
Linux, so when I read that FreeBSD supported the ICS interface I was
delighted. So was somebody fibbing in the INSTALL page? Or am I doing
something wrong?

JDL

--
John Lagrue
Web technician for Studio2 and general Internet nut

http://studio2.oaktree.co.uk