Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.3 arm32 problems
To: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
From: Kim G. S. \yhus <kim@pvv.ntnu.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/23/1998 20:25:05
> On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Kim G. S. yhus wrote:
>
> > And why is there so much fuss about CD-ROM, FLOPPY, TAPE, and NET
> > installation? I would guess that most people get the sets with
> > modem, and thus it would be easiest to use UnixFS to transfer
> > the sets. Floppies are pure torture.
>
> I'd think most people buy the CD or in the case of students use a zip
> drive (then unixfs) or floppies to get the files.

Then we agree on the usefulnes of unixfs. A pity it is not in "INSTALL".

I thought that those who bought CDs had so much trouble, that they
more or less gave up, and that those who use NetBSD arm32 are diehard
Unix fans who make it work by installing those patches not available on
the CD, and listening for advice and discussion on this mailist.

Thats at least a proper description of myself. I have had plenty
problems installing it, and at work, I singlehandedly manage all the
Unix machines in Norways national cellular phone company, planning division.

Well, thats my view, and my honest wish for NetBSD 1.3 arm32, is
that will be stable, work well, and be installable by people able
to use it, and friendly enough that they will use it. So far, it
has been too marginal. It is not there yet.

A more realistic wish, is that it becomes totally self-compilable,
so that us Unix wizards can contribute to it.

> > Besides, the install guide is big and confusing.
> > What has become of the guide Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote?
>
> It's still around but it's not been updated for 1.3.  Most of what it says
> is still valid I think, or certainly the preperation of the drives and use
> of bb_riscbsd

I am sure Kjetil is looking into it. Currently, he is working on his
brand new ISDN gateway, lucky bastard ;-)

> > I am currently booting, but have problems with /etc/rc.conf
> > and multiuser boot.
>
> try going into single user doing mount -a, and then looking for a line in
> /etc/rc.conf that reads:
> rc_configured=NO
> and changing it to YES, seems to be a new feature of 1.3
> to check you've looked through the file and set thing that you want.

HEY! That actually WORKED! Neat! The system boots perfectly well,
(Apart from lacking Cumana SCSI & EtherM) and insists it is called
"Amnesia". I obviously need some SysAdm tool to efficiently fix the rest.

Thank you very much for that essential information.

Kim0