Subject: Re: New Console latest.
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/19/1998 14:35:02
On Jan 19,  1:47pm, <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk> wrote:
> Subject: Re: New Console latest.
> Robert Black wrote,
>
> > There is still no support for X until I sort out the API properly.
>
> Err ... has this stuff been committed to the master tree? I don't want
> to find X broken the next time I sup current.

I wouldn't do that to you :)

The console hasn't been committed yet, but that is irrelevant because even when
it is committed you'll continue to use the old version until you upgrade your
kernel configuration file. Both consoles can coexist in the same source tree.
The only restriction is that you can't compile them both into a kernel
simultaneously. This is largely because there is no sensbile way to decide
which console to initialise at boot-time.

Eventually the new console will probably be the default, but not until its had
a little more testing and supports all the essential features of the old
console (the API necessary for X and libmultimedia in the new console is
currently intrinsically flawed, so I don't want to build up an applications
base dependant on it - sorting out a more sensible API is quite high on my
job-list but I'm being careful about it).

Cheers

Rob