Subject: Compiling with shared libs...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Palmer <tom@netherhall.cambs.sch.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/19/1998 09:47:01
Hi,

  This question may have been asked before, if so I apologise:

  I've been running RiscBSD 1.3Alpha for about a month now and I have had absolutly no success compiling programs using shared libraries that I have compiled myself. For instance I had to compile a newer version of libXpm as I was interested in getting WindowMaker working. Xlock works fine with the new version. WindowMaker works fine if X is not running (ie. it gives the message about not being able to open up a display) but if I try to run it within X it drops out with a Segmentation fault.

  I know that other users have managed to compile programs using shared libs so where am I going wrong?

  The toolset that I am using is the one off the ftp site for 1.3Alpha along with the brand-new c++ fix (maybe it will solve the problem with compiling KDE, but not Qt). I'm running a RiscPC with ARM710, 38MB RAM, 810MB hard disc (700 MB for RiscBSD) and an ether3 nic.

  I would appreciate it if anyone could help me. Does WindowMaker work on a RiscBSD machine? Must I compile my programs statically linking against the libraries that I have compiled myself?

  Thanks in advance,

  Tom Palmer