Subject: Re: Boot-time errors/warnings
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/08/1997 19:55:08
In message <Pine.SGI.3.95L.971208111239.1475A-100000@tower.york.ac.uk>
          Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Tony Houghton wrote:
>
> > Although 1.3a now seems to be up and running on my machine, it gives a
> > few strange messages when booting:
> >
> > savecore : /netbsd : nlist : No such file or directory
> > savecore : /netbsd : _dumpdev not in namelist
>
> very odd, but due to the something later
>
> > Then a bit later on:
> >
> > kvm_mkdb : /netdsb : No such file or directory
>                  ^-- is this a typo?  if it's not a script must have a
> typo in it...

That would have just been my typo.

> > chmod : /dev/tty[pqrs]* : No such file or directory
>
> I think this is the prob...
>
> > No doubt the second is caused by the last, but the 3rd is a bit
> > strange, because I have got the kernel installed and am booting from it
> > natively.

I also meant, of course, that the second error looked like a result of
the first, rather than the "last".

> I think the problem might be ther fourth line...
>
> > As for the last message, I see my /dev directory contains nothing but a
> > directory "fd" and scripts "MAKEDEV" and "MAKEDEV.local". Should I run
> > the scripts?
>
> This is probably the problem.
>
> As root 'cd /dev' and do './MAKEDEV all'
>
> that should hopefully fix things, and you'll get lots of files in /dev

/dev wasn't as empty as I thought, it's just that UnixFS can't see most
of the files. I did run that script to be on the safe side though, and
got lots of new files, but it's only prevented the chmod error message,
the other 3 are still happening.

There are some other things I've noticed.

When using my "normal" user, my input usually stops being echoed after a
few minutes ie nothing I type appears on screen, but the computer does
respond to my commands, and its prompts and output appear. I'm using
Korn shell BTW, and presumably vt100. It appears to get fixed if I log
out and in again.

Why is the cursor sometimes red and sometimes white?

When I log on as root (or su), why does the cursor jump halfway up the
screen, overwriting everything else?

--
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/