Subject: Re: 1.3 installation problems
To: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
From: Daniel Brown <crp02@holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/07/1997 00:28:09
> /etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted
>
> and it goes into single user mode.
>
> The above file is there, contains lots of data, and has rw access by
> root and read-only for everyone else. So can anyone tell me why it "is
> not configured"?

I'm unsure as to whether rc.conf should be configured automagically (by
Configure, et al?) or by hand, but it is reported as being 'not
configured' because one of the first lines in it goes,

# If this is not set to YES, the system will drop into single-user mode.
rc_configured=NO

Have a look through rc.conf, filling in the blanks to suit your system,
and swap the NO to a YES. The rc.conf man page may be of some help, here.

That'll get you over the first hurdle of multi-user booting, though I've
no inkling as to the deeper cause of the problem (if there is one).

D.

--
Daniel Brown, Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of Edinburgh, West Mains Road,
Edinburgh, EH16 5AW Tel. +44(0)-131-650-4816 Fax +44(0)-131-650-4743