Subject: 1.3 installation problems
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/06/1997 21:41:15
I've just been installing 1.3, downloaded from the FTP site. I suppose
having problems serves me right for being too tight to buy the CD :-/.

I did have the version from Uniqueway's RISC DISC 3 before, but I never
used it in anger so I decided to ignore its presence and work as if
installing from scratch. I thought initialising the filesystems again
should wipe all the old stuff, but I'm not sure that it has; although
most of the stuff I used to have on there is gone I found some of my old
monitor files hanging around.

I've got as far as installing "RISCPC" as my native kernel and
installing these sets:

base config etc joe local man misc text

I've set a password for root and made myself an ordinary user, but when
I try to boot in multiuser mode, it gets as far as verifying the
filesystems are clean, then prints:

/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted

and it goes into single user mode.

The above file is there, contains lots of data, and has rw access by
root and read-only for everyone else. So can anyone tell me why it "is
not configured"?

--
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/