Subject: Re: Dialin
To: S.J. Borrill <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk>
From: Peter Berg <berg@mailserv.tu-freiberg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/02/1997 11:48:25
> Has anyone configured their system for dial in access i.e. the RiscBSD box
> can be dialled into from a remote machine. dip -i seems to provide most of
> the functions (though I haven't tried it), but I suspect I need to hack
> /etc/ttys and termcap to enter appropriate initialisation strings for the
> modem. Any pointers/hints?

this is really not as easy as we'd like to have it :(
you can configure the com port in ttys for incoming connections. Some months
ago I tried it too. the problem is: when you configure the port for incoming
connections, you can no longer use it for dial outs, because it then always is
in use. Another problem is, that the port speed is always 1200bd, independent
from what you set up in the system files or what you set with stty.

I gave up to make dialins possible, even because of this absolutely not
understandable behavior of the serial port and/or the system driver for it.

Ciao, peter.