Subject: Re: Installation and mouse problems
To: Theo Markettos <bsd-list@marketto.demon.co.uk>
From: J M Oldak <cszjmo@scs.leeds.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/01/1997 09:12:26
On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Theo Markettos wrote:

> This then caused problems because inst reported that Base must be installed
> first when trying to install anything else.  The only workaround I could find
> was to set up an sh script containing a long list of tar commands, and leave
> it overnight.  This worked, and I've got a mostly working system.
>
> inst still refuses to acknowledge Base or any other set is installed.  Is
> there anything else that has to be done to convince it that the sets are
> really installed? I've tried copying the .SET files to /var/inst/installed,
> with no effect.

I noticed that the "inst" program expects the filenames of the sets to be
"something.tar.gz" rather than the "SOMETHING.TAR" as they are on the CD.

Before installing them, you need to rename the files - and then Bob should
be your uncle. (Alternatively, you cold probably edit the line in the .SET
file from "something.tar.gz" to whatever you wanted, but I haven't tried
this).

Have fun!

Joe
 __
 _|) "My imagination is a wild and untamed thing"  - Steve Hodgson
(_|